Africa stood up for Gaddafi
The African Union has demanded to stop military operations in Libya. This is stated in the declaration of a special committee of the organization. The committee said the air strikes of coalition must “cease immediately”. Also they stressed that it is unacceptable any foreign military intervention. President of Mauritania, Ould Abdel Aziz said that the African Union insists on respect for the unity and territorial integrity of Libya.
Committee meeting held today in Nouakchott (Mauritania’s capital), was attended by Mauritania, Mali, Congo, South Africa and Uganda. South Africa has already questioned the neutrality of the committee – a source in the government stated that some members of the African Union is too close with Muammar Gaddafi.
The African Union has established a special committee on the situation in Libya a week ago. It comprises the President of Mauritania (he is also currently chairman of the union), South Africa, Uganda, the Republic of Congo and Mali. The objective of this body is to find a compromise between opposing sides. Representatives of the African Union did not participate in UN summit.
France and Britain took the initiative to interfere in the civil war in Libya. Their position was supported by U.S. Saturday, March 19, NATO forces struck the first air strikes on this country. Russia, China and Venezuela were Against military intervention.
- African Union names panel to help end Libya crisis (afroaddis.wordpress.com)
- Opinion split over Libya attack (rt.com)
- World Leaders Gather in Critical Libya Talks (abcnews.go.com)
- Gaddafi’s son said Libya financed “clown” Sarkozy’s Election Campaign (newsamen.com)
- Gaddafi promised to transform Mediterranean into “a battlefield” (newsamen.com)
- Hugo Chavez: US will face new Vietnam if invades Libya (newsamen.com)